Friday, June 3, 2011

NEPTUNE, KING OF THE SEA....


The ocean fascinates me. It always has. My childhood memories are filled with sunny days at the beach, where I spent countless hours by the shore, getting sunburned although covered in Coppertone from head to toes. I can still see myself with my blue swimsuit, looking around for anything and everything; shells, crabs, starfish, drift wood, bird feathers, mussels, clams, lost treasures, AND poking with a stick at mysterious creatures, such as jellyfish, that the tides washed ashore... just for me.

I don't know... I guess I was a mysterious creature myself. Instead of joining the fun with my sisters and cousins, as they played ball in the sand, or went off swimming into the big blue, I could be still, staring at that fantastic mass of water and it's powerful, rolling waves edged with bubbly, white lace.... wondering what lurked beneath... Wondering if the tall, white-bearded, trident-carrying, horse drawn charriot-riding, god of Roman mythology, Neptune, really existed.

YEAH, I WAS AN OCEAN-WATER NERD-CHILD!!

Now, I wasn't always along the shore. There were times I liked being in the sea... floating upside down, in the clear waters, with my big, brown eyes open wide, until they hurt and my skin was well wrinkled. I had a great imagination back then, and one day I came out of the water to tell my mother, I was certain I had seen Neptune waiving his trident at me, as his beautiful horses neighed and took him deeper into his kingdom. I couldn't hear well because my ears were full of water, but she said something about being too long under the sun, and that I resembled a walking prune.

Today, I am all grown up, and the wrinkles in my skin have nothing to do with being in the water too long. But, the ocean still fascinates me. Unfortunately, the closest beach is five hours away from my house. So, I brought the ocean into my home. I am surrounded by shells, starfish, boats, seagulls, lighthouses... you name, I got it. All I am missing is the water, but then again, with a little imagination...

I can even become, NEPTUNE, king of the sea...

in a bath tub!!


61550_441510119544_597404544_5044893_779558_n
OR should I say.... NEP-TUNA?

***********

P.S. I had a suit on, no sea life was harmed in the making of this photo, and yes... my thinking was impaired by too much sun- Keep your children inside during the summer!

No comments: